19/09/2011

Day 1, Week 1... Again

After 3 weeks of doing nothing, today I got back in the pool. It was an emotional return – mainly because I am now terribly, terribly slow.

I have spent my time out of the pool living the high life. When I say ‘the high life’ I mean I have been sitting in my pants on the sofa watching the TV, eating pizza, weeping. It has been a remarkably sedentary time. I have barely moved apart from when having to visit the facilities, and I have resented that. I thought about dragging the TV into the bathroom so I could just watch it from there, eliminating the walk upstairs, but inevitably couldn’t be bothered. Then I considered a bedpan, but feared that my girlfriend, although incredibly understanding, would draw the line at emptying it upon her return from work.

In all seriousness the last few weeks are probably the longest I have gone without doing some kind of fitness since before I started school. I attempted a set of press-ups a few days ago, but just managed to lower myself to the floor. I laid there for about an hour before dragging myself back onto the sofa.

Today’s swim session was proof of my current lack of fitness. I did not perform very well at all. I managed to complete nearly 4.5km, which is ok, but I have lost a good 10 seconds off of my cruising pace over 100m. However as the title of this post says, this is day 1 week 1.

Channel training has started today and I am in a far better position then I was this time last year, when about to embark on the same challenge. The experience of this year will help me greatly next year (I hope), and I plan to be a lot faster as well.

Ange STILL hasn't been able to attempt her swim. With the time to do it fast running out she is understandably anxious to get going. It would be devastating for her to not even get to make an attempt. I really hope she does get the opportunity and is standing on the beach in France in the next week or so.

The incredible David Walliams

Whilst I have been sat down David Walliams has managed to complete the amazing feat of swimming the length of the River Thames in 8 days, demonstrating a swim that is fully deserving of the million pounds he has raised. He is an incredible swimmer and humble with it. Congratulations to him, he will undoubtedly never ever see this.

I have also had to start watching Big Brother. This is horrible news for me as I am not a fan, however my ex-flat mate is one of the housemates so I have no choice. His name is Harry and he is an excellent man, so if you are watching it give him a few votes to stay…

No comments:

Post a Comment