16/05/2011

My First Channel Crossing, and I didn't even get wet.

It was 3o'clock in the morning and I was in the car driving down what I envisaged would become a regular route to Dover. It was cold, dark and I was tired. I wasn't even going to swim, just help out on Paul Foreman's boat for an Aussie I had never met, yet I was still nervous. Not a good sign. I arrived at Dover at about 0415 and hung around in the car park not really knowing what to do. Eventually I found Paul and then Cameron (the Aussie) and his 2 other crew, also last minute recruits. I felt a bit sorry for Cameron as I imagined it must be horrible to not know anybody on the boat whilst you're attempting something like this. He was a classic Australian though and didn't seem bothered at all, far far less nervous than me. When he started swimming I understood why, he was awesome.

The White Cliffs
We got on the boat and got everything sorted, all good prep for me so I had some idea of what to expect when I did it, and sailed to Shakespeares Beach where Cameron would start his swim. I had the joy of greasing him up, yet another thing to look forward to on the big day, and he jumped in the water and swam to the beach. He stood there for about 2 minutes, if that, then was ready to go, so we started.

I had volunteered to jump in at some point to swim alongside if he started struggling, I decided after about a mile this wasn't going to happen. Firstly he wasn't going to start struggling, secondly it would be incredibly embarrassing to jump in after about 6 or 7 hours swimming and not be able to keep up, he was flying.

The first hour passed incredibly quickly and we got the feed ready chucked it over the side, it was drunk, chucked back and then he managed to eat a vegemite sandwich, as I said a classic Aussie. We repeated this process on the hour, every hour for 6 hours whilst Cameron just plodded along looking not at all bothered by anything, not even when he was told to slow down a bit as he was heading for a collision with a tanker. I cannot imagine I will be told to slow down at any point on my swim.
Having to avoid a BIG Tanker

After 6 hours feeding we switched to every 45 minutes for 2 feeds then every 30. Cameron took on board some pain killers after about 7 hours, the first sign of him being human, and yet another thing I had never even considered. It was sinking in how much of a challenge I had signed up for and how little I knew. It was awesome to see somebody just maintain perfect form for such a long time, and to not appear to be at all bothered. The conditions were good, but it was still a bit of an exhibition.

At the 9 hour feed Paul came out and shouted at Cameron that if he carried on as he was he would break the 10 hour barrier, this is quite an achievement. Again he didn't seem phased by this and just carried on as usual. The last 500 metres seemed to take an age, I can only imagine what it must feel like when you're actually swimming! It looks like you're so close to France for such a long time, it's best not to look.


Legend

After 9 hours and 40 minutes Cameron climbed out of the water at Cap Gris Nez, France having just absolutely smashed the Channel. It was nice to see that it can be done, and a perfect demonstration of how it should be done. All in all it was a very successful day, excellent to meet Paul as he would be my skipper in less than a year, and to witness a perfect swim.

On the way back to Dover, I got to talk to Cameron for a bit for the first time, he was still remarkably cool. I told him I was swimming it in August 2011 and he suggested I come over to Australia to do the Rottnest Island Swim, in Perth, as a prep swim.

Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment