02/07/2012

Trials and Tribulations


I have deliberately not written anything on here for a while, as I was determined to get a positive weekend in at Dover first, as nobody likes reading depressing negativeness all the time. This has taken a bit longer than I envisaged.

Since Dover training begun I have basically gone from pretty confident and loving life, to once again falling into a pit of self-hatred and despair. This has nothing to do with Dover, as a place it’s not too horrific. The people on the beach are brilliant, and if you squint until your eyes are almost completely shut, it is beautiful. No, the problems once again lie within my pathetically weak mind.

Once again my head has decided to smash me to pieces, I cannot beat myself it would appear. I have done a fair bit of mind training and can talk very positively about the swim and about my chances, but as soon as I see the pebbles in the harbour my insides drop out (quite literally on Saturday when I had to stop swimming after 2 hours due to explosive diarrhoea).

The queue for vaseline. Channel swimming is not all glitz and glamour, not at all in fact...
Some of you probably think you didn’t need to know that last bit, and I would agree you did not need to know that, but if you are ever thinking about swimming to France you do need to know that this sort of stuff happens. Yes, despite the photos on here where we all look so stunning, Channel swimming is in fact not that glamorous.  

Other lovely stuff has happened too. I experienced my first sober projectile vomit shortly after my first maxim feed, and when I say projectile I mean it. Whilst treading water I would make a guess that the consumed Maxim left my body and entered the water around 10 feet away from me. It sprayed from my mouth as though it was leaving the blow hole of a blue whale, before making that satisfactory sound of vomit on water and leaving on the back of a passer by.

This of course made me laugh a lot, but it quickly turned into self-pity and made the next hour of the swim a miserable experience. To be fair it’s always a pretty miserable experience.

I also experienced cramp. Cramp so debilitating that I was genuinely concerned for my life. Treading water with a calf that is as solid as a particularly hard rock is not easy, swimming with that calf is even harder. I did at one point look to the beach and quietly, under my breath, mutter the word ‘Help!’, then I just swam in. That cramp lasted for approximately 11 days, until it eventually worked it’s way into the ball of my foot where it still presides to this day (around 4 weeks now).

On another weekend I completed 5 hours in slightly worse conditions than the perfect storm, the next day I again completed 5 hours, this time the conditions were ever so slightly worse. In my 5th hour of the second day I decided at my current pace I was just going to make it to the far wall of the harbour and back, barely any distance. This turned out to be optimistic, and as my watch reached 4hrs and 30mins I had just about touched the wall. ‘Crap’ I thought/shouted and proceeded to swim the distance back, this time against the tide. Somehow when you know you’re going to finish you swim a lot faster and I was back at the feeding point at 5 hours and 8mins.

The face of a broken man
8 minutes that I will never get back.

The thing to remember when you are swimming in this place is that everyone feels the same, despite the fact that they all look as though they are loving life. They are all slowly dying inside, apart from the odd Australian who is genuinely loving life.

I usually begin my mind implosion at around the 25 minute point, which is absolute hell. I repeatedly tell myself I cannot go on and that I am a terrible swimmer/person. Luckily I have learned to control it, and usually feel ever so slightly better again within 3 days. My mind is a horrible place when it is encased in a cold skull and staring into the brown depths of Dover harbour.

Anyway as I said nobody likes reading negative stuff all the time, so I found this website:





No comments:

Post a Comment