29/06/2011

...Windermere: Part III - The Aftermath

Now I realise that three separate blog entries for a Windermere swim is excessive, however I declared it was a trilogy in part I and no self respecting trilogy has only two parts. I also have been a pest and made a video of the day so it would be wrong not to share it with the world, I just couldn’t live with myself. Anyway here’s part III …

Being led, like an old man, to the forgotten bench
Smashed
After 6 hours and 32 minutes I climbed out of Lake Windermere having successfully swam the entire length. The following 30 minutes were a bit hazy and the finish is something I barely recall. I do remember being clapped out of the water by a group of Chinese tourists and by the crew of the other swimmers boat (He had finished 15 minutes earlier). Apparently I gave a little wave and stumbled around. This is not how I would recommend marching out of the water after a successful swim. I was trying to be like Daniel Craig (I imagine), cool and impressive – in this I failed.

Clare wrapped a towel around me and led me up the shore towards a bench to get dressed. I genuinely cannot remember sitting on this bench at all, but I did not look good. If I had been discovered in that state by a passer by they would have assumed I was the very last survivor of Auschwitz. I was so haggard and looked like I had lost a stone during the swim, my eyes were massive. Also my intercostal muscles and oblique’s were absolutely KILLING me. I could barely breath, and spent the whole time clenching my teeth and looking hideous.

Much happier, apparently
After a cup of hot chocolate in the café next to the finish I was feeling much better, and was now just overjoyed that I had got across. I also got a free chocolate cake for my birthday from the café owner, all in all a perfect day!

Lessons learnt on this swim:

  • It’s better to take slightly longer on the feeds and actually get something in, rather than run out of energy later on.
  • I can’t even look at solid foods whilst swimming. I need to investigate the sports gels and practise eating in the pool.
  • Never look for the end of a swim, just swim until you get there – very easy to say.
  • I need to let Clare know where all my kit is. She made my swim box very messy, which is of course unacceptable.
  • All my kit and paperwork works pretty well. I know exactly how far I swam every hour, and also know I took just over 20,000 strokes to complete the swim. I don’t need to know this but it’s nice.
  • I didn’t manage to wee at all. I put this down to lack of fluid intake.
  • Finishing a swim is the best feeling in the world, I’m still excited 4 days later!

With Tom. Not the sort of bloke you want to be stood next to when looking like this 
Thanks a lot to Tom, Rachel and Clare for everything. It was an excellent performance and I’m really grateful that you gave up your Saturday to watch me swim and try to make me eat. I’m even more grateful that you put up with me bitching and moaning towards the end. It’s a cliché but I really couldn’t have done it without you.

Here's the video!



Next stop Dover, via the anti-climax of the pool…


2 comments:

  1. I don't think I can watch that video. Unless your skills have improved since the safari montage you forced us all to stay in and watch (one Friday night we were supposed to be going OUT).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean the incredible Safari video? I can't really improve on that, or at least I thought I couldn't until I created this gem.

    ReplyDelete