01/08/2011

Love Me Tendon

After my 50km week, I have had a disaster this time round managing only 17km. This was partially due to support swimming for Hannah taking up a couple of days (which was an excellent experience), and also due to my right wrist injury once again rearing its ugly head. My weekend in Dover was supposed to be my ‘Big’ weekend, with a 7 and 6 hour swim. The weather was perfect both days, but my wrist was not.

The cheap mans ferry shot
On Saturday I entered the water knowing I had 7 hours ahead of me, and didn’t feel too phased. I was swimming very well (for me), and maintaining a good pace, comfortably staying with people who usually leave me for dead. After about an hour however, my wrist really started to let me know it wasn’t quite right. With each stroke I could feel the tendon straining, and could almost hear it creaking.

I decided at 90 minutes that I was going to get out at the 2 hour point, the pain wasn’t so excruciating that I had to get out, but I really didn’t want to reach that stage with so little time remaining before the big event. Whilst I was swimming in for the 2 hour feed I thought about just carrying on and swimming through the pain, but really feel I made the sensible decision in getting out and not pushing myself, or my wrist, too hard. There would be absolutely no point in completing a 7 hour swim in the harbour, only to injure myself so I can't even attempt the Channel.

I exited the water and made straight for the physio to get a massage on the wrist. This really helped, and gave me a decent amount of confidence that it isn't going to completely destroy the dream. After the session I was told to heat and ice the area for a couple of days, and that I would be fine to swim again the next day. It turned out that another swimmer, Tom, had pretty much the exact same problem. His swim is on the same tide as me so it will be interesting to see how this turns out. Nick Adams also had the same injury before his swim and he managed to get across in 10hours 22minutes, so all is definitely not lost (he does have the advantage of having several fish like qualities).

Sunday was pretty much the exact same scenario, the only thing was this time I was overly aware of any pain I felt in the wrist. I probably could/should have kept going for longer than I managed, but paranoia takes over and makes it very hard for me to push myself any further. I could do without this right now.

It is such bad timing, I don’t want to miss any training, but REALLY don’t want to get injured. I have to have faith in my fitness at the moment and just train until it aches and no more. This is so much easier said then done.

If you are in Dover and feel a bit of an injury coming on I couldn’t recommend Zoe (the sports masseuse) enough. She really knows her stuff, and both times I have walked out of the treatment room feeling a lot better than when I walked in. I’d rather not have to visit her obviously, but I foresee it becoming a regular occurrence from now until my swim.

On Saturday I also got to visit the 'White Horse' pub in Dover, where channel swimmers regularly sign their names on the walls. Hannah was to make her mark after her successful swim mid-week, and ended up picking a spot right next to Cameron Spittle, so I now have a crew corner. 

I really have to get my name on that pub wall…

No comments:

Post a Comment